Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ridiculous and Smart

5 Things That Will Make You Sound Ridiculous (Yet Smart) in Conversation

1. Klein Bottle

In a previous list, I brought up the Mobius Strip, the one sided piece of paper. Derivative of this concept is the Klein Bottle, which has no inside or outside. Though it can only accurately be made in the 4th dimension (seriously), the current representation in our meager 3 dimensions is still pretty awesome looking.

Note: if you get me one of these a desk top toy gift, I will worship you like a Pagan God for two full days.



2. Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

This obscenely large word is pronounced as hippo-potto-mon-stross-ess quip-eh-dalli-phobia.

If you didn't know already, this, ironically, is the fear of long words. Though it's made up, it's still one of my favorite words to throw at people, especially when you were previously using common vernacular.

3. Khufu, Khafre, and Menkaure

These are the little known pharaohs for which the great pyramids at Giza were built. They are listed in order from largest to smallest, just like in real life (starting in the back of the photo).


Yes. The one in the far-back on the right side is the largest one, not the middle one.

4. Bringing Up xkcd "What If?" Blog Entries

I pity the person who reads the xkcd comic but not the What if? blog. Seriously. Go check it out. Randall Munroe was already one of the coolest guys ever, but his funny and scientific approach to solving theoretical questions puts him on the same level of coolness as Fallingwater. 

5. Digit-Strings in Pi

Alright, this one is a little out there. But, it's pretty fantastic to know that at the 2,124,327 digit of pi, you can find my birthday. Since I'm kind of interested, let me know in the comments if your phone number is in pi, as in all 7 digits plus the area code. No, I am not trying to get your number, but apparently it's pretty difficult to have a specific string of 10 digits in pi (less than 1% chance for a specific 10 digit string, less than 0.1% for an 11).


For those of you who noticed, this list is being posted on a Saturday and not a Friday. I unexpectedly had to be rushed to the emergency room, due to some broken dishes attacking my hand. Also, I have a comic drawn up and ready to be edited, but I haven't had a chance to scan it in yet (office being moved around). As soon as that gets finished, it'll be posted for your enjoyment (should you be able to enjoy those kinds of things).

No comments :

Post a Comment