Wednesday, August 7, 2013

This Story Is Just Six Words Long

     I tend to make my posts lengthy, as compared to the random blogs I stumble upon. So, to balance this negative fact out, I came across the idea of doing the opposite: writing less.

     My favorite example of a six word story is as follows:

     For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn.

     At first read through, these simple statements seem unremarkable. However, deeper underlying meanings can be drawn from it. One could assume that maybe a certain individual happens to have an unused pair of infant foot wear in a closet, or maybe some parents purchased the wrong size.

     The meaning I take away from this however, is a miscarriage. Most likely, a couple are anticipating their first child. Obviously, if they already purchased articles of clothing for their child, then they knew the gender. Going with that, if they knew the child's gender, the wife was along enough in her pregnancy for an ultrasound to be of any use. More than likely, the child passed in labor.

     If you had purchased baby shoes, don't you think you'd donate them or give them to some one else who needs them? In this case, the answer is no. They're selling the shoes, despite the small amount of money they could possibly fetch. This tells me that not only did their child pass away, but they're short on money, resorting to selling whatever items they can.

     There are more conclusions that can be drawn from that, I'm sure. I find it interesting that all of that came from six simple words. Almost poetic, if you think about it.

     After going through all of that, I'm feeling less confident about sharing my own six word story. But, I set out to do it, and I'll see it through to the end.

     Now, keep in mind that I am not a verbally gifted individual. I don't think of myself as having a way with words, regardless of how they're put. My six word story/memoir is definitely not going to contain as much depth as the one above. This is more difficult than I thought it would be, too. I decided to tell my life story in six words, and it's proving to be near impossible.

     "Moving doesn't bother me," I lied.

     That sounds pretty stupid.

     Let me try again.

     Body left, mind stayed. House divided.

     Bleck. Even worse.

     Alright, how about you just share your best six word stories in the comments? I think that sounds like a better idea. Good luck, brave commentators!

   

No comments :

Post a Comment